Great news! Norwegian Cruise line is continuously updating their protocols to allow more guests to travel! We are your resource for the most up to date information around vaccination & testing requirements, whether you will need a mask, taking shore excursions, and health & safety measurements taken by the cruise line.
Need to know Information
Pre-cruise boarding checklist:
- Complete online check-in for each guest and reserve arrival time
- Proof of Vaccine - Required through September 2, 2022
- Negative COVID-19 test
- Masks are recommended but optional for guests
- Passport Book or Passport Card, valid for at least six months after your cruise, is recommended
- No passport? Bring a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate + a valid Driver's License or picture ID issued by the government for age 16 and older
- If the name doesn't match, bridging documents are required, like a Marriage Certificate
Norwegian Health & Safety FAQs
Do I need to take a COVID-19 test prior to arrival at the terminal?
For all sailings September 3, 2022 and beyond - All cruises (unless country requirements differ)
- All vaccinated guests regardless of age - No testing requirements
All Unvaccinated guests 12 and older- Proof of a medically supervised negative PCR or Antigen test taken no more than 72 hours (3 days) prior to embarkation is required.
- Unvaccinated guests 2-11 years old - No testing requirments
For all sailings through September 2, 2022:
All vaccinated guests, regardless of age, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (i.e., PCR) taken:
- Cruises originating in a U.S. or Canadian port within 2 days of the embarkation date
- Cruises originating from a non-U.S./Canadian port within 3 days of the embarkation date for .
All unvaccinated guests ages 2-11 years will be required to bring proof of a negative NAAT test (i.e., PCR) result administered by a verified third party within 3 days of the embarkation date.
- Sailings from or to a U.S. or Canada port, unvaccinated children under the age of 12 will be subject to additional testing at embarkation and disembarkation administered and paid for by NCL.
- All unvaccinated guests under the age of 2 do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.
How can I take my Covid 19 Test prior to travel?
At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test.
- BioReference's Scarlet Service - $85 Per test: BioReference sends a trained Health Professional to your home or work to collect your COVID-19 test specimen and deliver the specimen to the lab.
- Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 at home test - $150 per 6 pack - The at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services.
- Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with Inspire Diagnostics- Antigen $40 | PCR $95 - Hassle-free, pre-cruise at home supervised testing for Norwegian guests.
- Locate a Covid-19 Testing Provider Prior to Your Cruise:an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world.
Recently recovered from COVID-19 testing requirements
- Individuals that test positive within 90 days of their scheduled embarkation date are exempted from the pre-arrival testing.
- They must have one of the below acceptable forms of COVID-19 Recovery (dated no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days (US) & 180 days (EU) before the date of embarkation) available during check-in.
- For European Citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate.
- For all others unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e., US Citizens) a doctor’s note, plus a laboratory-confirmed PCR test result with the proper information (i.e., Name, Date, Date of Birth, Positive Result, etc.)
What are the Vaccination Requirements?
For sailings through September 2, 2022: All guests age twelve and over, as well as all crew, must be fully vaccinated at least 2 weeks prior to departure in order to board. While we welcome unvaccinated children under the age of 12 onboard, it is the responsibility of the guest to be aware of any local protocols and/or travel restrictions in place at the visiting destinations at the time of sailing.
For sailings embarking September 3, 2022 and beyond: Guests age twelve and over will be allowed to board unvaccinated. Unvaccinated guests age twelve and over will be required to show proof of a medically supervised negative PCR or Antigen test taken no more than 72 hours prior to embarkation.
What Vaccines will be accepted?
Any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol ≥2 weeks after receipt of the final dose.
- Including, J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford(Vaxzevria & CoviShield), etc.
- Note: Individuals receiving a Janssen COVID-19 vaccine before or after another COVID-19 vaccine are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the single dose of the Janssen vaccine.
- Current Unauthorized Vaccines: Sputnik V, COVAXIN, Inactivated SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine (Vero-Cell), Novavax, Covovax.
- Vaccines received via clinical trials will not be accepted as they do not specify vaccine received.
To be fully vaccinated means to complete the full brand vaccination protocol of one brand of vaccine OR two doses of a mixed vaccination combination, and therefore a single shot of AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Sinopharm or Sinovac after COVID-19 recovery is NOT considered being fully vaccinated.
Booster Vaccination requirements for voyages embarking, disembarking, and sailing in Europe only:
- Booster requirements:
- North American Itineraries - No booster required
- Northern Europe/Baltic Itineraries - No booster required
- Itineraries that include Mediterranean Ports, France, French Polynesia and certain other countries - All guests over the age of 18 whose primary COVID-19 vaccination will be beyond 270 days at the time of debarkation must have a COVID-19 “booster” prior to embarkation.
What documents will be required to show proof of vaccination?
Guest must acknowledge vaccination status prior to their sailing (check-in) and bring proof of vaccination to the terminal for their cruise.
Preferred proof form is the original vaccination record document issued by either the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination or the guest's medical provider that completed the vaccine administration, however, a photo of the vaccination record document will also be accepted.
- Electronic vaccination records will be accepted for residents of countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form.
- Confirmation email of vaccination appointment will not be accepted.
- Communication regarding proof of vaccination submission will be sent to all booked guests in the 30 days prior to setting sail.
We do not collect vaccination cards or store proof of vaccination. Those cruise lines that have vaccine requirements to cruise will likely ask for proof at the time of boarding.
Are masks required onboard?
For sailings originating from a U.S. port:
- Norwegian cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of crew and guests age 12 and over, therefore face coverings are not required while onboard. However, the added protection provided when wearing a mask covering and recommend that all guests do so onboard when indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom.
- Mask coverings are also recommended outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained.
- The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest.
For sailings originating from a European port:
- Local government regulations requires all guests to wear masks onboard while indoors except for when actively eating or drinking or when in their stateroom. Guests will be required to wear masks outdoors when social distancing is not possible.
- Face masks that have two or more layers that completely cover your nose and mouth and fit snugly on your face are permitted.
- Face masks should block light when held up to bright light source.
- Masks with exhalation valves or vents; single layer or masks made of thin fabric that don't block light (i.e. neck gaiters) are not permitted.
Can I explore on my own while in port?
As delivering the best experience for our guests is always a top priority, after working closely with destination partners, Norwegian anticipates that guests will be free to explore certain ports of call on their own. Please keep in mind that this is largely dependent on the local health authorities and the evolving regulations, which are subject to change.
In order to keep our guests as safe as possible, we highly recommend taking Norwegian's organized shore excursions as a more controlled environment for you to enjoy your time in each of the destinations.
These restrictions are under the control of local government and are subject to change without advance notice, so we encourage guests to come prepared for potential mask requirements ashore.
Sailings Through Canada:
- The Canadian government requires all guests to complete ArriveCAN, found here, submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at check in on embarkation day.
- All guests are required to have all the necessary documentation including proof of vaccination and boosters if necessary for the countries they are visiting; negative COVID-19 test result; visas and passport readily available to present to the check-in staff upon arrival.
Check here for the most up to date information on each Cruise Destination, including vaccination requirements, mask mandates, shore excursions, and insurance requirements.
Are you ready to book your next vacation? Book with Vacation Outlet for great fares and valuable benefits! You get more when you book with us instead of booking directly with the cruise line. We give you our exclusive bonus offers, plus all qualifying cruise line offers, plus all of the cruise line loyalty program benefits.
Call 800-825-3633 or book online at Vacation Outlet today.